Trusting God with Finances

Happy New Year!  The New Year marks a perfect opportunity to make a fresh start and do things differently in an effort to better ourselves.  That’s why so many people have New Year resolutions.  The beginning of the year is a convenient and, seemly so natural, a place to start when one wants to set new goals to accomplish for the New Year. We set all types of goals ranging from vows to get more exercise to doing something for charity and everything in between.  As Christians, we often set goals that sound like, “I’m going to take better care of my body this year”, or “I want to read the bible from cover-to-cover this year”.  I would think those are fairly common resolutions.  But when was the last time you heard someone say, “You know, this year, I want to trust God more with my finances?”

But what does that even mean?  What does it mean to trust God more with one’s finances?  Some would argue that it is a reference to one increasing their giving (i.e. tithes and offerings).  Some believe that if a person, simply, is more consistent with their giving of tithes and offerings, they are showing more faith and they will be blessed financially.  It’s that straightforward; right?  But I don’t think it’s that simple.  Here are a few reasons why…..

  1. Tithes and offerings are only a portion of the money God gives us.  God has declared 10% of our earnings are His and 90% of our earnings we are to manage wisely.  What are we doing with the 90%?  As the proverb reads, “a fool and his money are soon parted.”  If God is given His 10% and we waste the other 90%, can we expect God to bless us with more?
  2. Financial situations improve with a change in behavior or money habits.  For there to be a change in behavior, the old habits must be replaced with new habits.  How do we decide what habits are good and/or bad and what will replace the bad ones?
  3. There just is not enough money to do everything we want to do.  We are given a limited amount of money to steward.  So, if tithes and offerings are to be given, something else must be sacrificed.  But, how does a person choose what goes unpaid?  How is a person to prioritize their money?

My point is trusting God with our finances is more extensive than giving tithes and offering; there is more to consider.  Tithes and offerings are only a small part of our fiduciary responsibilities.  It is all God’s money and we are responsible for handling all He has entrusted to us and not just the portion we are to give to the church.  God will be faithful to His Word, but he expects us to do our part.

So if you are looking to trust God more with your finances, you have to evaluate all your finances honestly. Often, especially when it comes to money, we are afraid to see how bad things really look.  And sometimes we have no idea how bad thing really are due to our ignorance!  Either way, we have to face the truth and get help.  The bible tells us to seek wise counsel (Prov. 1:5, Prov. 12:15, Prov. 19:20), and at Mountaintop, we offer the Financial Peace classes to help meet the financial needs of the people.  There is so much we don’t know and it’s evident because we are not prospering!  There is help available, but we can’t let our pride stand in the way and block us from our future!  If pride caused Satan to fall from heaven, it will definitely keep you from financial prosperity.  Have a happy New Year and God bless.


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *